BalletX: Development Director
BalletX, Philadelphia’s premier contemporary ballet, is seeking a proactive and energetic Development Director to lead its fundraising efforts. The Company is known for not only its talented dancers but also for the range of choreography it has created and produced, in Philadelphia and on tour. Performances in Philadelphia regularly sell out, and the Company is in demand nationally and internationally to perform. Currently the Resident Dance Company of The Wilma Theater, BalletX is an integral part of Philadelphia’s vibrant arts and cultural corridor, the Avenue of the Arts.
The Development Director implements and leads BalletX’s aggressive fundraising program including a robust and growing individual giving program (comprised of the annual fund as well as a major gifts initiative) and a full complement of institutional support and events. The Development Director works closely with the Executive Director, the staff, and the Board of Directors to expand and diversify the organization’s channels of support leading into each season. Identification, cultivation and solicitation of new prospective donors, in all areas, will be key to the success of this position. The Development Director will ensure that the Executive Director is strategically engaged and employed in the development process, with an emphasis on in-person visits. Additionally, the Development Director will develop their own prospect pool and meet benchmarks as established.
The Development Director is part of a five-person administrative staff that includes an Artistic & Executive Director, Associate Artistic Director, Marketing Coordinator, and Office Manager, as well as an external accountant. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet or exceed annual individual giving goals
- Develop strategy for direct mail and digital fundraising including the coordination of the annual appeal, and other methods to meet goals
- Prepare all donor communications
- Oversee donor benefits and cultivation
- Facilitate ongoing growth of major gift campaign
- Manage BalletX major gifts prospect pool and identify new potential donors
- Assist Executive Director by tracking cultivation and stewardship through moves management
- Conduct prospect research on new and existing donors
- Design, write and coordinate foundation, corporation, and government proposals
- Manage grants calendar
- Prepare grant budgets in conjunction with Executive Director and accountant
- Manages institutional benefits and recognition on marketing and promotional materials
- Oversee grant compliance and complete report
- Plans and executes all special events for each performance series as related to donor cultivation, including open rehearsals, opening night parties, etc.
- Lead the volunteer Events Committee, in conjunction with event chairs, in the planning and execution of the annual Fundraiser/Gala.
- Participate in monthly Finance Committee and Development Committee meetings
- Assist Board President and Committee chairs in preparing monthly Board Meeting presentations
Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Qualifications or Requirements
- Passion for dance and/or the performing arts
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- The stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility with and respect of high level constituencies (internally and externally).
- Self-directed with outstanding organizational and planning skills with ability to multitask effectively.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with internal colleagues, external partners, donors, and the community.
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience in fundraising with demonstrated success in directing development strategies and securing support from major donors
- Demonstrated ability to create multi-year development plans, set objectives, and achieve goals.
- Strong financial management skills including budgeting and projecting contributed revenue
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel, Mail Merge, and Patron Manager/SalesForce or other CRM
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
BalletX is an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION employer.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BalletX, Philadelphia’s premier contemporary ballet company, is seeking a dedicated and highly motivated student Company Intern that is willing to take on various projects in support of the organization's ongoing growth. Interns will work directly with the company’s development, marketing, and administrative staff in an unpaid position for up to 10 hours per week. Internships for course credit are available; interns are compensated with free tickets to performances.
- Assisting in the compilation of the company database
- Researching foundation and grant opportunities
- Providing support for performances and special events
- Assisting in the preparation and execution of the annual fundraising events
- Updating donor and patron electronic records
- Assisting with promotion and distribution
- Other tasks as assigned
- Completed or working towards BA/BS or equivalent
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office & Excel
- Accuracy and patience with detailed work
- Strong writing and interpersonal skills
- Ability to commit occasional evenings for performances and events
- Background or knowledge of non-profit administration
- Applicants should have a direct interest in the arts
Submit a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. With your application, please indicate the desired time frame for your internship.